The New York Times reported today that the autopsy results on Heath Ledger showed that he died of an accidental overdose of a combination of several prescribed drugs, including the active ingredients in Vicodin, OxyContin, Valium, Xanax, and Restoril (another anti-anxiety drug usually prescribed for sleep disorders):
The New York City chief medical examiner’s office has ruled that the actor Heath Ledger, whose body was found in a SoHo apartment on Jan. 22, died of an accidental overdose of prescription medications that included painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety drugs. “Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine,” Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the chief medical examiner, Dr. Charles S. Hirsch, said in a brief statement on Wednesday morning. “We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications.”
Very, very sad. Not much else to say, really.